Today’s competitive business world requires that, as you progress in your project management career, you face more and more challenges. Some of these may be complex and difficult – they may involve the coordination of many people and the completion of many tasks in a precise sequence. The project not only has to be on time, but also within manpower and budget constraints.
Effective Project Management therefore becomes an essential skill for leaders.
This 2-day programme will teach some of the specific competencies you will need to run projects successfully, and provide you with the processes and tools necessary to handle complexity and risks. From starting a project to developing its plan, tracking and controlling the project, and successful conclusion, all major aspects of professional project management are taught so that you can be assured of optimum results every time.
This workshop is hands-on, with frequent team activities. It will appeal to those who learn well visually, interactively and kinaesthetically.
There is a highly recommended, optional half-day session in which you will participate in a simulation run to plan, manage and monitor your project. This is the best way of putting theory into practice without actual dire consequences and with loads of learning, excitement and fun!
This workshop combines mini-lectures with team activities where participants have ample opportunities to discuss, plan and produce project documentation.
Each group plays the role of a project team in a case scenario. Through these activities, participants develop a series of planning and control documents. Kinaesthetic intelligence is applied to enhance learning experiences and retention of skills.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the key concepts and principles of project management
- Initiate a project and establish a project organisation
- Define measurable project objectives to achieve
- Agree with the Project Sponsor on a scope of work to deliver
- Develop the project schedule and assign resources for effective implementation
- Anticipate project and product risks and plan appropriate responses
- Apply techniques for monitoring progress and controlling the schedule
- Close down the project positively
Who should attend
- New team managers and project managers with up to two years of involvement in projects.
- Managers with more than two years’ experience in managing projects who have not had foundational training and who now seek firm understanding on project management principles.
- Introduction to Project Management
- Definition of a project
- Reasons for project failures and successes
- The Project Management Model: life cycle, stages and steps
- Organising the Project and Team
- Establish the project organisation and roles
- Develop the project charter
- Develop the project definition document and parameters
- Establish the project library
- Planning the Project
- Develop the work breakdown structure
- Create the network diagram
- Estimate task durations
- Identify the critical path
- Develop the Gantt Chart
- Estimate resource requirements
- Level manpower loads and adjust the project schedule
- Identify, analyse and respond to risks
- Controlling the Project
- Analyse actuals and predict project progress
- Develop adaptive actions
- Report project progress
- Closing out the Project
- Wrap-up the project
- Review for lessons learnt
- Celebrate successes achieved
Fees A$ per person
- Fundamentals of Project Management
- $1100 + gst
There are no exams associated with this course.