In order to achieve a noticeable improvement in project performance from the application of a project management methodology such as PRINCE2, it is necessary to go beyond simply providing accreditation training to project managers. The focus needs to shift from training individuals to changing how the whole organisation thinks and acts about projects.
PRINCE2 can be applied effectively and efficiently only by embedding it as part of the organisation’s project methodology, aligning the business processes, roles, staff, skills, information flow and tools to the use of the method. This change in an organisation’s thinking and actions about projects can and needs to be achieved via a managed “programme of business change”.
The purpose of this course is to discuss and investigate how to implement PRINCE2 within an organisation. We will look at the overall process and key outcomes of implementing PRINCE2, how to identify, define and execute an appropriate change programme, the criteria for selecting the most appropriate implementation approach and the key roles and responsibilities.
We will look in some detail at some of the information that is required in order to plan, execute and monitor the implementation, and how to ensure that the changes and ensuing benefits are not lost over time.
We will also look at the relationship between project management and other business processes and disciplines, and see how benefits can be maximised by integrating PRINCE2 with other methods and frameworks.
PRINCE2® is a registered trademark of the Cabinet Office. The Swirl logoTM is a trademark of the Cabinet Office.
>> Please refer to the tabs above for Course Fees, Course Content, Exams and other information.
For your convenience you may also see the course in print-friendly one-page view .
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
• Identify and document the need, opportunity and justification for implementing a project management methodology based on PRINCE2.
• Identify the requirements for and benefits of tailoring the PRINCE2 methodology, integrating it with other methods and processes used within the target organisation.
• Define, design, plan and establish a programme of business change with the purpose of
– selecting, designing and implementing a reference methodological framework,
– applying and assuring the required processes, decisions, authorisations and escalations
– training, coaching and supporting the relevant roles and staff.
– Monitoring and ensuring that programmes and projects are conducted in accordance with applicable
policies, methods, standards and techniques.
• Monitor and control the implementation programme to completion.
• Implement performance measures and feed-back mechanisms to enable continuous improvement of project performance over time.
The target audience includes staff that are responsible for selecting, designing and implementing an organisation’s project management methodology, staff who are involved in directing, managing, assuring and supporting projects and need to understand how to better apply the method within their environment and staff who are involved in organisational change management, organisational performance and performance improvement.
• Programme Managers and Project Managers
• Managers and staff of corporate Programme Office, Project Support Office and similar functions and services
• Managers and staff of Portfolio Management functions
• Managers and staff of Centre of Excellence and similar functions
• Managers responsible for organisational performance and performance improvement
• Consultants that may be engaged to embed and implement a project management methodology based on PRINCE2
1. PRINCE2 and its Critical Success Factors
Although we assume that delegates are already familiar with PRINCE2, we start with a refresher. We also discuss the factors that influence the ability to apply the method successfully and improve project performance.
2. Managing Programmes or Business Change: The MSP Way
A discussion of why and how implementing PRINCE2 requires a programme, and how this programme can be managed by applying the MSP method. This includes a brief introduction to MSP.
3. Identifying the Need
Assessing current project management capability and project performance, identifying key issues and opportunities of improvement.
4. Defining the Change
Designing a project management framework and methodology, based on PRINCE2 and OGC Best Practice, and planning its implementation.
5. Managing the Implementation
Implementing the new processes, roles, controls and information flow.
6. Bedding Down and Sustaining the Change
7. Ensuring and Assuring Successful Transition to the New Framework, and Establishing a System of Continuous Improvement
Contact us for an obligation-free quotation
This workshop assumes that delegates are already familiar with PRINCE2. Although a formal qualification is not required, it is recommended that delegates should be in possession of at least a PRINCE2 Foundation Certificate.
Optionally, delegates should also be familiar with the MSP (Managing Successful programmes) methodology.