This course explains how DevOps security practices differ from other security approaches and provides the education needed to understand and apply data and security sciences.
Participants learn the purpose, benefits, concepts, and vocabulary of DevSecOps with a particular focus on how DevSecOps roles fit with a DevOps culture and organisation. At the end of this course, participants will understand using “security as code” with the intent of making security and compliance consumable as a service.
The course is designed to teach practical steps on how to integrate security programs into DevOps practices and highlights how professionals can use data and security science as the primary means of protecting the organisation and customer.
Using real-life scenarios and case studies, participants will have tangible takeaways to leverage when back at the office.
The course will be presented by leading DevOps exponent Paul Colmer.
The objectives for DevSecOps include an understanding of:
- The purpose, benefits, concepts, and vocabulary
- How DevOps security practices differ from other security approaches
- Business-driven security strategies
- Understanding and applying data and security sciences
- The use and benefits of Red and Blue Teams
- Integrating security into Continuous Delivery workflows
- How DevSecOps roles fit with a DevOps culture and organisation
Who should attend
The DevSecOps course is designed for:
- Those involved or interested in learning about DevSecOps strategies and automation
- Those involved in Continuous Delivery toolchain architectures
- Compliance Team, Delivery Staff. DevOps Engineers
- IT Security Professionals, Practitioners, and Managers
- Maintenance and support staff, Managed Service Providers
- Project & Product Managers, Quality Assurance Teams, Release Managers, Software Engineers, Testers
- Scrum Masters, Site Reliability Engineers
Please Note: The DevOps Foundation certification is a prerequisite for DevSecOps Engineering to ensure participants are aligned with the baseline DevOps definitions and principles.
1. Course Introduction
- Course Goals
- Course Agenda
- Exercise: Diagramming Your CI/CD Pipeline
2. Why DevSecOps?
- Key Terms and Concepts
- Why DevSecOps is important
- 3 Ways to Think About DevOps+Security
- Key Principles of DevSecOps
3. Culture & Management
- Incentive Model
- Organisational Culture
- Erickson, Westrum, and LaLoux
- Exercise: Influencing Culture
4. Strategic Considerations
- How Much Security is Enough?
- Threat Modeling
- Context is Everything
- Risk Management in a High-velocity World
- Exercise: Measuring For Success
5. General Security Considerations
- Avoiding the Checkbox Trap
- Basic Security Hygiene
- Architectural Considerations
- Federated Identity
- Log Management
6. IAM: Identity & Access Mgmt
- IAM Basic Concepts
- Why IAM is Important
- Implementation Guidance
- Automation Opportunities
- How to Hurt Yourself with IAM
- Exercise: Overcoming IAM Challenges
7. Application Security
- Application Security Testing (AST)
- Testing Techniques
- Prioritising Testing Techniques
- Issue Management Integration
- Threat Modeling
- Leveraging Automation
8. Operational Security
- Basic Security Hygiene Practices
- Role of Operations Management
- The Ops Environment
- Exercise: Adding Security to Your CI/CD Pipeline
9. GRG & Audit
- What is GRC?
- Why Care About GRC?
- Rethinking Policies | Policy as Code
- Shifting Audit Left
- 3 Myths of Segregation of Duties vs. DevOps
- Exercise: Making Policies, Audit and Compliance Work with DevOps
10. Logging, Monitoring & Response
- Setting Up Log Management
- Incident Response and Forensics
- Threat Intelligence and Information Sharing
Face-to-face classroom training
Fees per Person
22% discount if this course is taken in combination with DevOps Foundation. Total cost two courses taken separately - S$3800 + gst. Special price if booked together - S$2960 + gst (for 5 days)
- Course presentation
- Course workbook
- DevSecOps Engineering Exam
- Full catering including sit-down lunch
The DevOps Foundation certification is a prerequisite for DevSecOps Engineering to ensure participants are aligned with the baseline DevOps definitions and principles.
DevSecOps Engineering Certificate Exam
Once you’ve completed your training, you can gain a globally recognised certification with the DevSecOps Engineering Exam. An exam voucher is provided after the training course. The exam is online and web-proctored, so you can take it any place, any time.
The exam details are as follows:
- 90 minutes
- 40 multiple choice questions
- Pass mark of 65%
- Closed book
Successfully passing the examination leads to the candidate’s designation as a certified DevSecOps Engineer (DSOE). The certification is governed and maintained by the DevOps Institute.